Friday, October 24, 2014

Worm Soup & Bread Bones

For the first week of October I had the wonderful blessing of having my mom, my dad, & my beautiful Grandmother come visit us.  I begged my grandma to teach me how to make her homemade egg noodles.  I grew up eating her noodle soup & oh how I've missed it.  Thanks to this wonderful trip, I was able to learn from the master herself & now I can make my own homemade egg noodles whenever I feel like it.

Worm Soup:

4 cups flour
8 eggs
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 quarts chicken broth

In a large bowl add all 4 cups of flour.  With your hand, make a little hole/well in the center of your flour & crack all 8 eggs into that well.  Add salt to the eggs.  Pulling little bits of flour at a time from the sides, mix the flour & eggs together with a fork until a sticky dough starts to form (you will not use all the flour).  Continue to add more flour from the sides until the dough become kneadable.  (There will still be flour along the sides of the bowl).  Knead the dough until it is not sticky anymore & until it becomes pliable & rollable.  On a heavily floured surface, roll out your dough until it is 1/4-1/8 inch thick (however thick you like your noodles to be).  Let dough dry for 2 hours.  Flip dough over & dry for another 2 hours.




Cut your dough into noodles with a pizza cutter.  You can choose the width you like best.  We went with thin wormlike cuts for our worm soup.

Boil 2 quarts of chicken broth.  Add noodles & cook for 30+ minutes until noodles are tender.  You can add whatever you like to your soup.  (chicken, carrots, celery, onions, herbs, etc.)


Bread Bones:

Make your favorite bread recipe or pull open a refrigerated can of bread dough.  Section out dough into pieces & roll between your hands until a big snake forms.  Tie knots in each end of your dough snake forming a bone.  Bake until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment