Monday, July 8, 2013

Dissecting Owl Pellets

Cadence tested & made it into the SEARCH program at her school this year.  SEARCH is the "gifted" program & we are SO proud of her for her accomplishments.  She is such a smart little girl & it makes me happy that we have her in a school that recognizes her abilities & tries to push her so she can learn & grow at HER pace.

Her SEARCH teacher emailed me these pictures last week.  In May the gifted students had the opportunity to dissect OWL PELLETS at school.  Basically, they got to cut open owl throw up . . . SO EXCITING & SO GROSS.  She was SO excited about it.

She got partnered up with a boy who did NOT want to touch anything.  He was SO grossed out by the whole idea of owl throw up that poor Cadence did most of the touching.  She loved it though.  She found an entire mouse skeleton inside her owl pellet & had a blast piecing the bones back together again.  Science has always fascinated her.




I think the thing that made me laugh the most about Cadence dissecting owl pellets was that I did
THE EXACT SAME THING
when I was her age.  I was in 5th grade instead of 4th, but I was 10 years old just like she was.  I also was partnered with a boy, but luckily my partner was all about touching the owl pellet.  He cut it apart, & my job was to piece our skeleton back together.  We also got a mouse skeleton in our pellet.  I found this picture in my journal from when I was 10.  I couldn't help but put it on this blog entry.  It's amazing how I remember that day like it was yesterday & now I have a DAUGHTER doing the same thing.  It's crazy how fast time flies.


No comments:

Post a Comment