Friday, December 2, 2011

Ancestor Pilgrim

Cadence's class always has some sort of "project" going on. Is it bad that I'm having as much fun helping her as a mom as she is having putting them all together?

This time, for Thanksgiving she had to do some genealogy (I'm happy the school is teaching about family history.) on where some of her family came from before migrating to the United States. For the project she had to make a pilgrim that represented that country. I knew it was going to be a BLAST! She chose her
great-grandfather Heinrich Kinsvater
who migrated from Germany in the early 1900's.

So to start out, I made a little doll from scrap fabric & stuffing I had in my craft room. I've never made anything like that before, but it turned out cute. Cadence loved it. . . mostly because it had underwear on. ha ha ha.



Next we made her hair. Cadence cut all the yarn for the hair & hot glued it onto the doll's head. It's hard for me to sit back & watch how grown up she is becoming. She did this all by herself. Then she braided the hair into 2 braids. It looked adorable.





The 3rd day we worked on it, Cadence made her doll's clothes. I drew out a typical German dress on a piece of paper & she cut out fabric, felt, lace, & ribbon to put on her doll. She did a GREAT job. She's really into sewing, fashion, & clothes right now so this was really fun for her. Her doll turned out BEAUTIFUL just like her.



She also made a family history book with pictures to tell the Kinsvater family story. We've been to the train stations they visited on their way to the US when we lived in Germany & took lots of pictures so she got to share those pictures with her class. It was very exciting & I think she learned a lot. Her teacher LOVED it.

No comments:

Post a Comment