Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Break: Tuesday - OUTSIDE DAY!

Man, what a terrible day for "Outside Day!" The sun wasn't shining, it was wet, & it was chilly. And the worst part. . . it was going to be the nicest day of the week. Oh well. You make do with what is given to you right? We still had a blast!

I made little sunshines & put them around the house, then the kids took turns picking a sun. On the back of each sun was an activity for the day. The first sun that was picked was a family walk to the park. Well, the park was soaked so that threw that out of the equation, but there was no reason we couldn't have a nice walk together. So, off we went. And to make it even more fun, we played "follow the leader" & had to do whatever the leader did.

We were elephants. . .


chickens . . .


kangaroos, cats, dogs . . . & SILLY KIDS!!


Our next activity was punch balloons. Do you remember these from when you were a kid? I sure do. My brother & I LOVED THESE! (Although my brother used them as an attack weapon against me. . . which Bladen figured out almost immediately [it must be a boy thing]) They loved these. They played until all of the balloons popped which took about 40 minutes. Not bad for a balloon!



By lunch time the weather was starting to turn better. It was perfect for a picnic in the park. I packed up lunches for everyone & off we went. My kids LOVE picnics. And I'll admit. . . I'm a sucker for picnics too. I just LOVE being outside!


Because the weather was SO nice at the moment, I decided to grab the bubble machine I bought for the kids. One of the "activities" for the day was BUBBLES. (It was listed on the back of one of the sunshines hidden in the house) I wanted to do it while it was hot & the sun was shining. The kids were literally jumping up & down when they saw me with a full gallon of bubble solution. We played with bubbles at the park for an hour & a half & we used 1/2 a gallon of bubble solution. CRAZY!! The whole neighborhood had joined us by the time we went home. I love those bubble machines. They do all the hard work for you!













When we got home we let the kids take a nap because they were exhausted. When they woke up, they picked another sunshine & got to watch their favorite movie (which is "How To Train Your Own Dragon" at the moment). After the movie they picked another sunshine & got JUMP ROPES! I have forgotten how much fun (& exhausting) jump ropes are. The girls were laughing at me doing all sorts of tricks I used to do when I was a kid. Cadence loves to jump rope & is a total pro!


Taya didn't know what to do. Daddy came home right in the middle of jump ropes so he helped her out a bit. I have to admit, seeing my sweetheart in his blues uniform jump roping with his little girl was the cutest thing in the whole world.



I didn't know, but Lorien had NEVER jump roped before. What kind of mom am I? Holy Cow! She had a hard time too, poor thing. But after 15 minutes of trying over & over again, she finally made a little progress. We're going to have to do this more often. It was fun!


After jump ropes we all went & rode bikes around the neighborhood. It was a TON of fun spending the day outdoors in the fresh air.

As a side note: Craiger's belly button FINALLY fell off so we got to give him his first bath after the kids went to bed. He is my VERY FIRST BABY to ENJOY the bath! My kids love baths now, but they NEVER sat still without screaming when they were babies. Craiger loved every second of it. He's just such a good baby!





So day 2 of Spring Break was a success even with the rough patch of cold weather. I'm having a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment